I was in desperate need for a little home network upgrade and after hearing rave reviews I decided to upgrade my home router to a Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi Router. Immediately I saw a significant performance improvement over my old router with my desktop and using streaming services on my TV. However, my Samsung Galaxy S5 was having some serious issues when it came to wireless performance. My phone would connect to the router, and the router would show it was connected, yet when I would try to go to websites or use applications such as Facebook, I was met with significant delays and occasionally the phone disconnecting from the network.
I immediately tried hooking up my old router and sure enough my phone worked perfectly so I knew it had to be something with the WRT1900AC. After searching around on Google for a bit I found several articles with people experiencing similar issues, although not directly related to the Galaxy S5. Most of the issues though seem to have been resolved with a firmware update, and since I was running the latest firmware, I did not believe this could be causing the issue. Some more reading and I found that a lot of people had success when they tweaked the channel or channel width instead of going with the default auto setting. I tried playing around with this for a bit, but still the same result.
After a little more playing though I noticed that the router had only the 802.11a mode available with the 5GHz. Knowing the router supported other modes I began searching for why it was doing this. Low and behold a little setting I was not even paying attention to. I had the router set to WPA2/WPA Mixed Personal for the Security Settings (that’s what I get for accepting a default). I switched to WPA2 Personal and sure enough my problems all went away.
So if you are having issues with connecting devices to your Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi Router make sure you have the security mode set to WPA2 Personal (or equivalent).
Overall I love the router so far. It is fast and the admin interface is clean and user friendly (although it does not have some of the fine tuning details I would have expected). I combined this upgrade with also purchasing my own cable modem and getting away from the rented Comcast modem I previously had. On the modem I went with Motorola/ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 (I don’t use the VoIP so that was not an issue for me). The change together increased my performance overall by approximately 8Mbps.
For more information and other FAQ on the Linksys WRT1900AC Wi-Fi Router check here:
Latest posts by Jeff Mould (see all)
- Laravel 5.4 Redirect after Password Reset Email Sent - September 8, 2017
- How to Fix Laravel 5.2 Token Mismatch Errors - June 30, 2016
- How to Get Sirius XM Deals - May 27, 2016